The first match of the five-match T20 International (T20I) series between Rishabh Pant-led India National Cricket Team and Temba Bavuma-led South Africa National Cricket Team was played at the Arun Jaitley Stadium in Delhi on Thursday, June 9.
South Africa National Cricket Team defeated India National Cricket Team by 7 wickets and they won the match with 5 balls remaining.
ICC Teams Rankings | ICC Players Rankings
Earlier, South Africa won the toss and opted to bowl first in the match with an eye on restricting India to a below-par total. Star batting all-rounder Aiden Markram was tested positive for Covid-19 ahead of the game and debutant Tristan Stubbs was named as his replacement in the playing XI.
At the toss, India captain Rishabh Pant said that he also wanted to bowl first. Also, Dinesh Karthik made a comeback to the Indian team after 3 long years.
Ishan Kishan and Ruturaj Gaikwad opened the innings for India in the absence of KL Rahul and Rohit Sharma while Keshav Maharaj opened the attack for South Africa and he conceded 13 runs in the over.
At the end of the powerplay, India were at 51/0. On the second ball of the 7th over Ruturaj Gaikwad was dismissed by Wayne Parnell and he scored 23 runs off 15 balls, including 3 sixes.
In the next few overs, Shreyas Iyer and Ishan Kishan batted with an aggressive mindset and after 10 overs India were at 102/1.
Ishan Kishan completed his half-century off 37 balls, including 9 fours and 1 six. Kishan was able to score 76 runs off 48 balls, including 11 fours and 3 sixes before getting dismissed by Keshav Maharaj in the 13th over.
Shreyas Iyer was dismissed by Dwaine Pretorius on the 1st ball of the 17th over and he was able to score 36 runs off 27 balls, including 1 four and 3 sixes.
Hardik Pandya and Rishabh Pant added 46 runs off 18 balls before the latter was dismissed by Anrich Nortje in the 20th over and the India captain scored 29 runs off 16 balls, including 2 fours and 2 sixes.
In the end, vice-captain Hardik Pandya scored brilliant 31 runs off 12 balls, including 2 fours and 3 sixes, to help India score 211/4.
Chasing the target, skipper Temba Bavuma got dismissed in the 3rd over itself. However, Dwaine Pretorius brought the momentum back to the Proteas team by playing a 29-run cameo knock.
South Africa wicketkeeper-batsman Quinton de Kock was dismissed by Axar Patel in the 9th over and he scored 22 runs off 18 balls, including 3 boundaries.
In the end, David Miller played an exceptional knock and Rassie van der Dussen, who started off very slow, played a sensational knock to help South Africa win the match. Rassie van der Dussen scored 75 runs off 46 balls, including 7 fours and 5 sixes while David Miller scored 64 runs off 31 balls, including 4 fours and 5 sixes.
Here’s How Twitter Reacted To India vs South Africa 1st T20I:
– Mpumelelo Mbangwa (mbmmbangwa) June 9, 2022
– Harbhajan Turbanator (@harbhajan_singh) June 9, 2022
This series is supposed to be a tough one and South Africans are making sure of it. Team India needs to sort out the bowling, especially First 5 and last 5 overs! #INDvSA
– Irfan Pathan (rIrfanPathan) June 9, 2022
Well played, South Africa. Expected SA to be more than competitive… losing Markram was a huge blow but didn’t make a difference in the end. Miller has started from where he’d left in the IPL… and Rassie… ufff… what a turnaround after that drop. #IndvSA
– Aakash Chopra (cricketaakash) June 9, 2022
– Prakrit Pandey (Brahmin) (andey pandey7_pp) June 9, 2022
– Wasim Jaffer (@ WasimJaffer14) June 9, 2022
– Abhi (SamCurranFC07) June 9, 2022
– Rajneesh Gupta (grgcricket) June 9, 2022
– Andile Phehlukwayo (ile andileluck19) June 9, 2022
– Mayuresh Chavan (Mayuresh45_18) June 9, 2022
Ridiculous bowling ..
No body took the responsibility#INDvSA
– Rishav⚕️ (@ rishabh_patel19) June 9, 2022
Shreyas Iyer lost this match for India, first he scored only 14 runs of his last 19 balls then dropped a regulation catch of Rassie van der Dussen & since that drop, RVD has scored 36 runs off the next 10 balls he faced.#INDvsSA
– Vipul Ghatol 🇮🇳 (ipVipul_Espeaks) June 9, 2022
Indian team is looking like CSK team, captain changed before the match, scored 200+ and not able to defend! #INDvsSA
– 𝕍𝕒𝕤𝕒𝕟𝕚 (mayankvasani) June 9, 2022
– 𝐀𝐖𝐀𝐈𝐒🇮🇳 (avsavage_awais) June 9, 2022
– Dale Steyn (ale DaleSteyn62) June 9, 2022
– Rajdeep Pandit (Rdpt_23) June 9, 2022
– 🇮🇳 (@HARGOVINDLAXKAR) June 9, 2022
This has been one of the finest run chases in T20is – David Miller and Rassie Van Der Dussen, what an innings.
– Mufaddal Vohra (mufaddal_vohra) June 9, 2022
What happened to Van der Dussen with the change of bat? Looked somnolent till then, but haas roared back to life. India under the pump
– Cricketwallah (rcricketwallah) June 9, 2022
– Unnikrishnan (ni unni1974) June 9, 2022
Rajasthan have a chance here #INDvSA
– Gaurav Kalra (aura gauravkalra75) June 9, 2022
At one stage when Van Russen was struggling to get the ball off the square many would have thought he should retire out. Now he looks like the danger man for India in the remaining matches
– Cricketwallah (rcricketwallah) June 9, 2022
India missing those 4 overseas players in the XI.#IndvsSA
– Gaurav Sethi (oredBoredCricket) June 9, 2022
– Rishabh shah (unPun_Intended___) June 9, 2022
– Abhishek Tripathi (hitabhithecomic) June 9, 2022
Stellar year this guy is having, What a player#INDvSA https://t.co/nqcXRpI198
– Muhammad Owais Fayyaz (OwaisFayyazz) June 9, 2022
What a Panauti! Very very ganda captaincy. #INDvsSA
– B Boro (@Im_Boro) June 9, 2022
This is King Temba’s Africa#INDvSA
– Deepu☀️ (@deepu_speaks) June 9, 2022
Moral of the story:
Never underestimate a Don who has scored 20+ runs in Jofra Archer over.
He might take some time to settle but once he is set only God can save you.
– Anurag (ightRightGaps) June 9, 2022
– н ᥲɪ Lᴇsʜ sʜᴀʀᴍᴀ 🏏 (@ Shaileshh_07) June 9, 2022
In a flat pitch even Pretorius playing superbly, I’m not surprised when ishan and pant scored today🤭. Giving chances to ishan, rutu, pant and others is not equal to chances given to Sanju in overseas and SL (where everyone failed) CCBCCI3#INDvsSA
– TheDestroyer (@D_Destroyer_) June 9, 2022
– 🇮🇳 Jack 🇮🇳 (allCall_Mee_Jack) June 9, 2022
Claiming to have the best domestic T20 league globally, then going 4 matches down back to back on the international stage, with the latest defeat coming after scoring 210+ runs!
Guess our players only enjoy playing for the “crores” now!#SAvsIND # IPL2022
– Saurabh Sinha (ura SaurabhSailor79) June 9, 2022
– Joseph Daniel (JPJosephdaniel) June 9, 2022
Also Read: IND vs SA: Watch – Harshal Patel’s Slower Full Toss Rattles Dwaine Pretorius’ Stumps
Get All Cricket Match Prediction and Fantasy Tips – CLICK HERE
Cricket Match Prediction | T20 World Cup Match Prediction | Today Match Fantasy Prediction | Fantasy Cricket Tips | Cricket News and Updates | Cricket Live Score